Monday, December 20, 2010

Dance and Music

Those of you that know me, know how much I love to dance, teach dance, watch dance, etc. Growing up, dance was a way for me to express myself, work through emotions, grow as a person, learn discipline, and much more. I had (have) an amazing dance teacher, Paula, who taught me not only how to dance, but mentored me through lessons which I was able to apply to dance and my daily life. Paula is now my boss, and I now try and instill and inspire the same to my students.

My mom was a dancer when she was younger, and in more recent years, she took adult tap classes and performed on stage. My Dad was one of the most artistic people I know. Both of my parents had (have) a true love and appreciation for the arts. I was fortunate enough to be raised going to Broadway shows, musicals. My Dad and I took a few trips to New York just to see shows and to influence me. I cherish those trips and gift of the arts that they instilled in me.

As a mother, it is now my turn to pay it forward. I plan to expose Juliana to the arts and all that they have to offer. If she falls in love with it and has as deep of a passion for it as I have, then it will be a full circle moment in life. If she doesn't, then that is ok too. She will expose me to whatever her passion is!

Right now, she absolutely loves music and dancing. She cannot sit still when music is on. She brings pure joy to us all as we watch her dance and try to sing along. She will intently watch a show such as Dancing with the Stars.

She took her first dance class at 22 months. Juliana, her dance teacher Andrea, who is my dear friend and co-worker, Joe, and myself all had huge smiles on our face for the entire 45 min class. We didn't have any expectations at her age, and she exceeded all expectations that we could have had. Here are a few pictures so you can see for yourself. I need to figure out how to post videos on this blog, but that will have to be another day and in another post.






She also started attending a rhythm and music class at 22 months. It is pure joy for me to attend these classes with her and watch her grasp, develop, and learn new things. Here are a few pics from that class.



No comments:

Post a Comment